Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Entering 2020 Was One Thing (Woot Woot! Wee)....Entering The First Day Of Another Semester Is Another Thing

Truth. I've been trying to reach the finish line since last summer and, well, I finally thought I saw the light and, BOOM!, a new semester is beginning.

I have met all the goals I had for the fall semester and even more for the holiday break (two submits, a grant report, a final revision of POW!, conference proposals, and service to the University).

I can say, PHEW!, I did alright. On my way home from campus yesterday, however, it hit me, "Wait. Aren't Monday classes being hosted on Wednesday for the first week? Um, isn't that me? today?"

Yup. Time to seriously tune the syllabus (here we go again).

My new 'end of the tunnel' is around 9:30 p.m. this evening after I return from campus and I can say, "Crandall, somehow you made it through the last month getting your #@#$ done!"

I actually took time to enjoy the family, too, from the 19th through 29th - 10 days of semi-sitting still. Even so, As I reflect on the submissions, writing, reading, evaluations, feedback, and reporting of the last month, I'm thinking, "Dude, if people knew your 14-hour days they'd think you're crazy."

Okay. I'm crazy. But it's done.

And today I go back to what I love doing best - teaching. It's year two for Participatory Action Research and I'm looking forward to guiding another class! I learn as much as they do and the graduate students are awesome. Tonight, I will overwhelm them and they will freak out, but it will all be okay. Finding the path they know they can take is the hardest part of the work.

For in-practice teachers, the excitement for such work is everywhere.

Meanwhile, I know my collapse is coming. I am absolutely exhausted.

Hello, Spring semester. Nice to see so many returning.

No comments:

Post a Comment