Friday, January 3, 2020

And On the 2nd Day of a New Year, He Fell to 2019 Deadlines, So He Wrote and Wrote and Wrote, Working Against the Clock

I will not show remorse that I probably have used this .gif before. I will not regret that I don't mind Jim Carey, because most of my life I've wondered why my face contorts the way his does. And, there will be no pity from me about taking time for myself during December 19 - December 28th to spend the holidays with the family and only work on a few projects (including books I've wanted to read).

Perhaps this is why yesterday was spent emptying the ocean with a fork, editing a piece with an approaching deadline and starting a couple of 2020 goals The feedback was great and positive, but I didn't realize the references and tables were included in the word count, so I had to cut 1500 words. Phew. 1500 words! I have only 438 more to go. Even with deleted references and tightened tables, shrinking this bad boy is a challenge and a half.

There is a truth needing to be admitted, however. I absolutely love the editing part of the work. Kelly Chandler-Olcott taught me to be a professional de-worder and I remember doing line by line edits with her in my dissertation and with our collaborations. Editing is mesmerizing and exhilarating.

Save a line here. Condense language there. You already said that above - bye bye.

Seriously, how quickly the 14-hour work day returns.

I guess I have University service to thank for the rush. After this weekend, I'm fully engaged in work that will keep me from my writing, and there's the new semester syllabi to attend to, too. I need to be frugal with every second I can find.

It is extremely interesting to compose for audiences, most of who I'll never meet. It's also engaging to co-write with others and to partner with every decision needing to be made.

I will be back at it all day today, with knowledge that the 10-day break in Syracuse will likely be the cause of a two-day weekend in my Fairfield University office before a grueling work week to follow.

The Christmas decorations are almost put away (with only the lights and a few gift bags to file in the basement). I also stopped at BigY so there's food in the cabinets and fridge.

Okay, 2020 - the vision is very clear: this year's calendar will simply replicate the last one. Cursed be the mind that takes on additional writing projects and challenges. Blessed be the mind when the thinking finally finds a way into print.

No comments:

Post a Comment