Thursday, January 9, 2020

When Holed Up In a Chamber of Good Causes (& Can't Get Out) - A @writingproject Blessing Arrives via Text

At the core of everything I do is teacher-leadership, and sometimes I simply forget what this investment actually is. For so many years, since 2001, I've been a Louisville Writing Project fellow (now CWP Director) and I forget how one summer of National Writing Project work can totally turn one's career around. It did mine. I didn't realize it at the time, but I was being transformed into a leader for my school, district, and state. Wait. I'm now national. Phew. How did that happen?

I've been knee-deep in University service this year and, for the first time, am not kicking off the new year with a K-12 school series of PD. Instead, I'm working with my own campus and doing my part there.

That is why I'm super excited to share this post.

Yesterday, when I got home, Jessica Baldizon and William King sent me these photographs. They were asked to do PD for 100 teachers in their district and, with CWP behind them, they thought, "How might we best do this?"
They recruited students from Ubuntu Academy as table discussants and leaders. The kids were able to work with the teachers. What also amazed me is that I saw The Day You Begin by Jaqueline Woodson being presented at one of the tables. It was a year ago yesterday that we revealed that it would be one of two of her  books for One Book, One Town (our summer literacy lab kids were definitely a part of this).

It is just amazing to me, as a Director and recipient of the National Writing Project tradition how powerful National Writing Project work  always is.

In the photographs sent to me, I recognize the total engagement, the appreciation, and the interest of recipients receiving the PD. I love seeing young people teaching teachers how they learn best. 100s of teachers learning from the students who are discussing literacies initiatives that make them stronger.

And I wasn't there. I didn't need to be. Why? Because the National Writing Project invested in me, and I paid it forward to Jessica and William. They, of course, are paying it forward to their colleagues.


I like to be there for the beautiful moments, witnessing the work WORKING. I LOVE seeing it at work, simply because it DOES work.

I know that so many districts bring in this or that expert (and their team) and teachers leave thinking professional development is never professional development (it's simply a roll-your-eyes, detached day or afternoon having to be endured).

Yet, when the National Writing Project model rolls in: teachers teaching teachers or, in this case, students teaching teachers, WOLA!

Joy.

If we could simply sell Joy to superintendents across the nation, maybe we could create a revolution in America's K-12 schools. Perhaps we should start with Principals. Teachers get it. The kids...well, they're the experts, and they get it.

Joy. A 3-letter word. So much better than so many 4-letter words teachers use when leaving PD at their schools.

Absolutely LOVED everything about these photos that were sent to me yesterday.

Congratulations, William and Jessica!

No comments:

Post a Comment