Sunday, January 26, 2020

Thankful to @_silvergal and Michael for Getting Me Out in the Rain To Celebrate Art, Bridgeport, Teachers and Students

I knew yesterday was going to be a wash, and I planned to spend the majority of the day under a blanket, reading books. Early in the a.m., however, Yellow, called Stripe, and said, "Come with me to University of Bridgeport to see my friends Jay and Geralene's art work - The Bridgeport Portrait Project, debuting today. She explained that her friends have been documenting the people of Bridgeport for some time: every day people, well known locals, kids in schools, administrators, characters, and local eccentrics. How could I say NO? Of course I went and I enjoyed every second, especially viewing portraits of so many I know and
appreciate.

The Bridgeport Portrait Project introduces you to PEOPLE who make the City of Bridgeport much more than just a PLACE. The project gives contemporary definition to the rich culturally diverse community that Bridgeport has always been. The participants and their stories of values and believes...culture and heritage. My favorite was seeing Mike Daly, the journalist at the CT Post who has been with me for the MLK Essay contest since the beginning, and who has easily become my Bridgeport gem of a human being.
 It was also great to see several young people featured in the display, including a young woman who talked about her success being recognized by Fairfield University's Poetry For Peace contest. I loved hearing her shout out that accompanied the photo on display.

The exhibit displayed Bridgeport's best, including Sheena Graham, last year's Teacher of the Year, who we luckily had as a Keynote at our Student and Teaching Celebration last spring. Her success as a music teacher is inspirational. wonderful and full of magic. It was an honor being able to work with her and to see her on the wall!

If you get a chance to see the exhibit, it will be worth every second of your time: the faces are recognizable, the individuals wonderful, and the stories brilliant. I love how the community of Bridgeport was captured in these portraits. What a wonderful way to celebrate a city and those that live in it.

I'm thankful for Silver, too - both of them - for dedicating their lives to the young people attending Bridgeport Public Schools and who also invited Edem and me to eat at Baja's in Orange, following the exhibit.

Um, YUIM! They are a dynamic duo, those two...dedicating countless hours with love, heart, integrity, mind, and devotion. Whether with art work, grant-writing, sports, teaching, guidance, mentoring and/or parenting, they've been there for the kids they adore.

It was the perfect day to warm the heart on a rainy, cold, and exceptionally windy day.

I definitely went to bed last night feeling blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment