Tuesday, January 28, 2020

When Great Minds Influence Another's Thinking, Even When They May Never Know The Extent of Such Influence (Thank You, @AlfredTatum)

I'm not sure that I'm a stalker, but I'm definitely an intellectual consumer, and avid reader of 21st century thinking about what it means to advocate for all kids. My research has primarily been with writing, but when I was doing my work with 8, relocated male refugee youth from Africa, I knew I needed to have a talk with Dr. Alfred Tatum. His work was amazing and I needed his advice to go forward with my research.

It took me a few years, but I finally had the nerve to approach him. His enormous suggestion that changed the direction of my work, "You can't go a-historical." He said to me that I needed to craft the history of the young African-refugee background youth for my dissertation. In other words, I needed to become a historian, and if I had a responsibility to speak out about their stories (a quote I took from one of the participants), then I needed to take my 'English Lit' degree and do critical readings of the past, including postcolonial perspectives and critical race theory. This is what I did. It was a quick conversation at an LRA meeting that launched my career. He probably doesn't even remember the conversation, but I can say it became central to everything I do today. Every life of today is entwined in the complex movements of yesterday. Each step we take is on the shoulders of giants.

Tonight, I am doing another round of Developmental Reading in Secondary Schools in which I will have students think about their own 'textual lineages.' I got this from Dr. Alfred Tatum, Chicago, and from his publications. I can say that the 'textual lineage' presentations with my graduate students throughout the semester are *hands down* the best assignments I give each year. Through their individual exploration of  reading and writing history, they get closer to how they can be better educators for all students.

Obviously, it is beyond the scope of a daily blog to hit all the academic excellence of Dr. Alfred Tatum that has led to this post (and I'll save the string of citations), but I can say that his writing, scholarship, and influence has led to many of the choices I make with my own writing (and instruction)(and even scholarship, although not to his magnitude).

Tonight, I am teaching his chapter in K. Hinchman's and H.K. Sheridan Thomas's Best Practices in Adolescent Literacy Instruction - it is the first time I've used this text. I can say, however, I finally have Tatum's language foo initiate the semester. He is chapter one - BONUS.

Too often, I don't have time or space to acknowledge the biggest influences in my life.  I am a Tatum disciple. Although I'm not a Research One Academic All-Star, it is the work of this scholar that allows me to be (and do) all that I am and have done. I continue to be inspired.

That's what is on my mind this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment