Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Perhaps More Lists of Why Life Is Beautiful Are Needed By All. Not Quite Sure If That is a Worthwhile Distraction, However.

I saw Schindler's List when it made its rounds to artsy-fartsy theaters and after it won all the awards. I was all by myself in the theater and, similar to my readings of other war stories (and what results from them), totally captivated. Emotional even.

Fast forward, Schindler's List was a movie commonly shown to Juniors during our Holocaust unit after reading Night and Dawn and Day by Elie Wiesel. The conversations are always difficult. Conflict is harsh. The Holocaust was humanity showcasing itself at some of its worst moments in history.

In 1997, the movie Life is Beautiful also debuted, and it covered the same time of history, but demonstrated a father's drive to protect a son from the ugliness of the human condition. Based on the book by Rubin Romeo Salmoni, In the End, I Beat Hitler, the movie offered another approach to facing the ugliness of our species. Choose optimism, love, protection and hope to keep the outlook of a child naive and young.

For years, I debated whether or not Schindler's List or Life is Beautiful is the correct film to end the conversations the Holocaust introduced to the students. Movements by populations of human beings to target and ostracize other populations of humans, including their children, makes my heart sinks. My work with the young people I've been fortunate to know and learn from has offered me endless stories of life where individual populations have been targeted. Reminder: We already have the largest refugee population on record; I worry we'll create more.

Mythologies recruit. Goals of democracy, togetherness, and shared humanity go out the window.

I know life is beautiful,
  • I've been a teacher for over 25 years. I know the love and benefits of supporting a democratic conversation,
  • I'm blessed to parent and mentor many. The joy and bliss of this is immeasurable. I wish safety for every parent and every child in every country and under every political system
  • I've benefited from the fruit of hard work; although I question 'why bother' much of the time, I readily admit I'm a lucky son-of-a-butch
  • Phew. I walk my dog daily (and run just as much) and I'm free to do this without fear (for the most part)
  • I'm in a nation that benefits from the privilege of so much: the good, the bad and the ugly
  • The sunrises. The sunsets
  • I have memories that have filled my heart with total joy
  • I've received love fully and given it out just the same
  • I've found potty humor in my scattalogical way - Shhhhh....It Happens. I'm used to it.
  • I have faith. The Great Whatever is stronger than any stupid human being. We suck. Not the larger plan.
So, on this busier-than-usual Wednesday, following a more difficult Tuesday than anticipated, I'm simply choosing the Life is Beautiful perspective, hoping that a light might shine in the heart of future generations. I'm choosing the power of love. I have no problem if Godzilla then squashes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment