Friday, July 3, 2020

A Crandall First - Competitive e-Gamer Presentation to the Sports & Gaming Literacy Lab

Robby Mitchell, retired career e-gamer and current game software developer stopped into the Game On! Sports literacy lab yesterday to discuss the athleticism of competitive gaming, the characteristics for the best games, and current design projects he is working on.

Watching the faces of 5th-8th grade students light up when they learned he was coming was absolutely golden. This is not anywhere near my generation; for me, Pac Man was too advanced. It is amazing to see where the digital worlds have gone, especially as he shared with us professional gamers, their moves, the calories they burn, the strategies they take, and the arenas from where they play. It was pretty interesting, especially because Robby shared his screen and offer such cool graphics to teach the middle school students. I was hooked.

It also helped that he had a natural presence with the kids, kept the conversation engaging, and had so many visuals. I already know what Words with Friends does to me...I can imagine the other addictions that could come soon after.

Asked, what makes a good game, Robby Mitchell responded: 1. level of mastery, 2. art/graphics, 3. audio, 4. twists in plot/use, and 5. passion. I am channeling the Super Nintendo Days of the late 80s and early 90s - so much gaming history...no wonder it became a sport.

I see the parallels to writing.

Even so, I'm exhausted. TGIF.

No comments:

Post a Comment