Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Taking Flight with the Red-Headed Partner in Crime This Afternoon in Pensacola (well, Via ZOOM)

Twice in one week I get to do one of my favorite workshops, this time for Susan's crew at the Emerald Coast Writing Project. I can't wait to play with the teachers, be silly, and to do the workshop I always do on the first day of poetry with middle and high school kids. 

Yesterday, during Project Citizen, I was impressed by some of the poems that arrived from Monday's workshop - it's one of the reasons I like leading the poetic task so much. 

This time, Frog is inviting The Pelican to the Magic Box and bringing all her coastal emeralds with her.

I also love doing this particular workshop because it gives me a different opportunity to compose something for a different audience and from my magic box, I got two pages of words which led me to write a letter to my partner-in-crime and friend! 

Dear Pelican,

You told me emeralds arrive on the hot days of summer,
as teachers dance to the beat of a Floridian drummer,
& plummet to Peg Leg Pete’s for smoked, yellow fish dip,
tripping & whipping & dripping in plump-thumping slumber
where minty-fresh, lime-lined drinks waltz in a tumbler,
before foods of five nations…Yup, Frog has your number,
He listens to your chords at the Cantina, you’re quite the strummer

of songs for scrumptious school days (the scary, screwed-up screenplays) 
of writing, doodling, thinking, blinking, screeching & all that teaching,
of scattered possibilities….all that preaching,
while practicing, imagining, making & creating, 
apprenticing, wondering, yelling…who here isn’t procrastinating?
while dreaming of plump pillows at night. Ah, Pelican, take flight.

I see how the Ruby-rusted redhead writes about peanut butter and books,
lookin’ like Lil’ orphan Annie bouncing upon the waves, how she looks
all carrot-topped like poppies, with flaming ember, red markers, and more,
all freckle-faced & fruitiness, blood-nutted,…tssh, Pelican for sure.

“For fuck’s sake, Frog,”  she writes, I’ve got 30 million years of history,
& I’m a goober (a boober with tremendous cleavage mystery?
Have you read this book, that book, or the one I’ve been meaning to read…
You doin’ alright? I so love you. I’ll dive-bomb for anything you need.
This water looks lovely, & I’m hungry…It’s a nice night for a flight….
Hey, frog…fly on down here…let’s try to make everything all-right.”

And I know the moon has its phases, the sun rises and it sets,
coastlines go through phases (Basil Hayden as good as it gets),
Hope is a blue angel vibrating through an evening sky,
FaceTime, children’s books, gifts in the mail, oh, how we try
to support teachers teaching teachers, with sand between our toes, 
gulf-coast breezes, hurricane creatures, knowing what the shark already knows.
Our poetry, our stories, blue water to refresh our souls…
offering seeds for the notebooks — that’s how a possibility grows.

Yes, the Emeralds are your teachers who are with you on the hot days of summer,
& like you, they dance to the beat of the Floridian drummer,
& plummet to Peg Leg Pete’s for smoked, yellow fish dip,
tripping & whipping & dripping from their plump-thumping slumber
for minty-fresh, lime-lined drinks where they can chill with a tumbler,
before the foods of five nations…Yup, Frog has the number, 
as he listens to your red-headed chords at the Cantina, quite the strummer,
leading the hearts with your song…
This, Pelican, is your network, your project, and together…
you’re so, so strong.

Love ya, 

Frog

No comments:

Post a Comment