Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Thank You @WestportLibrary for Hosting @JerryCraft for Kids Yesterday. I'm a Big Kid (not a new one) & Needed That

Yesterday, the novel-writing middle and high school kids at the Connecticut Writing Project - Fairfield University were invited to a virtual conversation with graphic novelist Jerry Craft (yes, 2020 Newbery and Coretta Scott King Book Awards). He's a friend of storytelling and imagination and I'm so thankful we were stationed next to him so many years ago at the Westport Library Maker's Fair. He actually packed up with his books and left, but then a friend helped me to run after him - I wanted him to help me present in front of 160 8th graders from Greenwich. He obliged, because he's cool like that. At the time, he was still working on New Kid.

Last summer, when the book came out, I started texting Jerry thoughts as I was reading, which soon turned into screen shots of my favorite pages (e.g, Wow!; whoa!; This!; Phew!), which later turned into an hour or so conversation about race, publishing, NCTE, teachers, kids, and graphic novels. Fast forward to NCTE, when Jerry could be found sitting in the crowd of English teachers working on Class Act, the follow-up to New Kid that will be in print this Fall. The occasional teacher came up to him for a photograph and I said to him, "Um, this is probably the last time you can be in public like this, especially with teachers, and not get mobbed."

Covid hit. I'm not sure if he's had the luxury of being mobbed yet. It's coming. He's a phenomenon.

Yesterday, The Westport Library hosted Jerry Craft for a kid's workshop from 4 to 5:30, and I was so pleased to hear him speak. Truth be told, I've not heard him talk...only met him in Stew Leonards to pick up 100 autographed books for my teachers and kids!!!! And when he presented for CWP, I was presenting in another room - I had to hear what the kids were telling me (and was always jealous that I couldn't hear, too).

WHAT AN ABSOLUTE THRILL IT WAS TO HEAR HIM YESTERDAY WHEN HE SHARED STORY OF ILLUSTRATING, MODELED HIS COMPOSING PROCESSES, DEMONSTRATED HIS COMMITMENT TO CREATING BOOKS, and MODEL HIS INCREDIBLE INTEGRITY.

Jerry Craft was marvelous with kids, and I was mesmerized by the drawing he did as he talked with them (note: I put his head on his drawing above, because I could).

Jerry Craft is a national treasure...he was before, and he will continue to be. I write my blog today in hopes that every school district orders his book for their libraries and classrooms, and they find a way for him to speak to their students. There are superheroes on the page, but there are also those in real life with pens in their hands, illustrating possibilities for the nation.

I haven't seen Jerry Craft's cape yet...but his magical powers saved me yesterday. I needed his up-lifting spirit and humor...and he made the day super awesome. I love everything about his soul and skill, and feel blessed he's a Connecticut writer!

Happy Tuesday, Everyone.

May you craft your day like Jerry does.

No comments:

Post a Comment