Monday, July 6, 2020

Don't Anybody Diss My Work Space on Campus Until You've Seen Me Clean My Home Space

I am blaming John Tesh for this one, because I heard him say something about a cluttered desk makes for an inner sense of chaos, which causes binge drinking, eating, shopping, and whoring it up around town. Well, he didn't say anything about being a whore, but that was the impression he tried to leave his listeners.

I thought, "Holy shit. If he saw my bedroom right now he would think I have tremendous issues with maintaining control."

Admittedly, when I moved to Fairfield University I brought all my books and toys and Brown School shenanigans and mementos and gadgets and memories to that space so I could declutter my home life and live in serenity upon the return. This has been my motto, for the most part, until Covid-19 hit, where slowly my bedroom began to look more and more like Pee-Wee's playhouse and my books are starting to creep up in piles everywhere. When one ZOOMs 12-hours a day, one needs to be ready. I like to play. I prefer shenanigans. It has taken over the make-shift office space in my home.

Well, last night, before bed, I folded Chitunga's laundry (part of me pretending to take control) and cleaned the bedroom so that it will have a fresh start. Viewers never see the dust, garbage piles, dog hair, scrap paper, or lunch dishes because I keep them off screen. I know I'm a bit of a pack-rack like my Grannie Annie and my mother, but if anyone's ever seen my dad's man cave (especially his sixteen bowls of tweezers, thread, clippers, scissors, lighters, razors, pens, etc. that he sits by, one would probably yell, "Son of a Butch," with ease). I get it from him, too.

This morning, however, welcoming another 50 kids to our summer programs, I will welcome them at a clean desk - psoriasis cream stashed away, forks taken to the sink, dog bones brought to the basket downstairs. They'll get the simulacra of professional Bryan, Dr. C., who doesn't want John Tesh getting into his head.

I don't impulse shop because my desk is a mess. I might impulse work, however...but that's okay

Monday. We're at it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment