Wednesday, July 15, 2020

This Ol' Man Went to Market. This Ol' Man Stayed Home. This Ol' Man ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM'd All the Way Home

In no point of my life did I ever think I'd be channeling Howard Stern on a daily basis to run workshops, literacy labs, classes, interviews, special appearances, and conferences like I do, but this is the era of Covid-19 when the way we do things has been altered quite a bit.

Of all the conversations I had yesterday in digital spaces, I loved none more than the one that was initiated with Jessica Early of Central Arizona Writing Project as we listened to the interview with Torrey Maldonado. Jessica and I have been discussing our summer programs going online for a few months now and she and I have learned so much.

SO MUCH that, through a series of numerous text messages, we think we need to do a 3-hour professional development session for anyone thinking about teaching writing online in digital spaces this Fall. We don't know what is coming, but if one follows the science, the data reporting, and the facts, it is somewhat predicable that most of us will be in digital locations for quite a while (that is, if we want to be rational, logical, smart, and HUMAN with our educational decisions). Jessica and I began texting, which led to brainstorming, which led to possibility, which led to need. It's the National Writing Project way to problem-solve, share, and be collective. Phew. I admire Jessica.

Howdy, Hump-Day. Glad to see you again. Feels like we were just at last week's Hump-Day. Ha! And I'm wearing my Bread Loaf School of English 2006 t-shirt, the one I designed in Santa Fe. That was the summer before my last year in Kentucky, too, having the universe catapult me into the doctoral direction. I applied in 2005, but withdrew my applications because I loved my teaching life so much. Then the whirlwinds began, Scylla and Charybdis did their thing, I read the tea leaves, and let the hook in my chest pull be onward.

Now, in 2020, I still love my teaching life and realize I've sustained that love by following my heart, soul, vision, NWP-influenced mentoring, and the GREAT WHATEVER's pull. I am a better man because of the multiple communities that have challenged me to be a better individual.

Phew. Chapters. We just never know. They're being written all the time...even now.

No comments:

Post a Comment