Friday, July 10, 2020

On Behalf of @CWPFairfield, Wow! @JanaeMarksBook - You Offered So Much Brilliance to Our Young Writers

(In which I couldn't help myself. I took a ZOOM photo, unfair, but I wanted to capture the one-of-a-kind advice from Janae Marks, author of From the Desk of Zoe Washington).

There are times when teachers look at one another and simply say the same thing at the same time. This was the case for Westport Public Schools teacher, Emily Sawyer, and me when planning the first week of our Novel Writing - Character Matters Literacy Lab. Janae Marks.

Jinx. You owe me a coke.

I've been fortunate to hear the middle school author speak at the Saugatuck StoryFest, and more recently have loved hearing the buzz about her writing build across the nation, and build, and build. I knew it was a long shot to get her, but Emily Sawyer was like, "She's in." Okay. Lucky Us.

She came.

The timing of her discussion, her remarks, and her advice were superb, especially as our writers are adding more and more finishing touches to their novels with this week's focus on character development. I filled many pages from a writing prompt she gave, and focused on her top five: (1) a character's external goal (although mine might be internal, too), (2) an emotional arc (the outward person, but also the inside one), (3) the character flaw (if only they could borrow some of mine), (4) specificity (I overwrite, so I need trimming), and (5) the backstories (which get easier and easier the older I get).

Of course, my writing is typically academic (that is, the stuff that is shared with others), but I've been listening to incredible advice for years and I want to put the expertise given to me into action (I've always written creatively....just not shared it so much...except for this blog and with my students). Janae Marks gave me a great idea for the upcoming months which I'm looking forward to working on. She's definitely one to read and invite to the classroom.

I highly, highly recommend From the Desk of Zoe Washington, especially if you love inquisitive protagonists - the middle school kind, and say, "Order it today."

Here's to Janae Marks, her ability to answer rapid-fire questions, and the impact she had on our young writers yesterday. If you know middle school librarians and teachers, share this post. It's a must have.

PS: How many writers showed up with popcorn this morning, because Janae recommended that as a snack!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment