Friday, September 25, 2020

Apologizing Upfront - This is a Food Post. Actually Went to BIN for Milford's Restaurant Week & Ate Outside (1st Since March)

I remained a bit skeptical, but I've heard stories from others (including Chitunga) about their dining experiences, so when Leo said, "Come on, Crandall. It's restaurant week. Eventually we all have to start being human again," I thought, "Sure." The window of opportunity before things blast off again are somewhat small and, besides, I've always wanted to eat at the fancy-smancy restaurant called Bin. They had huge tents set up in their accommodating parking lot, and tables were all a good 10-feet apart. I was also seated with my back to the other diners, so it seemed like our weekend crew was only having dinner together (but with table cloths). It was one of those 3-course meal shin-digs, and I started with creamy squash with coconut and sour cream soup (beyond delicious), moved to gorgonzola chicken dish with creamed potatoes (not so great...I think they may have forgotten the gorgonzola), and ended with a pumpkin-glazed cheese cake (also delicious). I should point out, however, I also had a blueberry-maple manhattan with my choice of bourbon (ridiculously good). 

To be honest, I only had a bite of the main course, because I loved the soup so much, and didn't want to lose that flavor. I can heat up the leftovers for lunch or dinner later today. 

I should also point out that we picked the last of the garden tomatoes and I knew Chitunga probably cooked bacon in the fridge somewhere. I chopped up lettuce and made a BLT, which may be why I was only hungry for the soup at dinner. I'm late to the bacon game, and rarely cook it, but it really does touch-up a sandwich, whether it's tomato, chicken, or turkey. I'm always like, "Crandall, this is so good." 

Of course, my checkbook has appreciated the slower life and doesn't need to get back to the out-to-dinner experiences, especially with the porch to pay off (the upstairs windows were paid it in full). Restaurants, especially the fancy ones, really eat away at your income. I was good with this, though, because we haven't done it in so long and, like Leo said, I'd eventually have to break out of my home-cooked rituals.

The runner/walker/mid-life fat-ass in me, however, is thinking two meals like this in one day is a bit excessive. I keep telling Chitunga and Edem, "Dudes, if you weren't home, it's be Triscuits and cheese for me. That's all I need." 

It's been so long since I've had such an out-of-house experience; it almost felt exotic. Bless the hearts of food-servers and all my hopes for a lift of this plague so the economy can continue to support them.

No comments:

Post a Comment