Friday, September 11, 2020

It's the Objects We Forget About (That Were Every-Day) That Trigger the Memories of a Life That Once Was

 

For a period in our lives, my mother took ceramics, mostly to get away from the kids and my father but also for something to do. I remember when "The Haircut" arrived to our upstairs bathroom, more because I thought it was in reverse...I was the one cutting my little sister's hair (shaving it) and my mom tried to capture it in the studio. There were two such paintings that hung upstairs, but I noticed one of them was now downstairs hanging up. I imagine they were in the closet, but then my dad found them, and put them back up. Not sure.

Then, I also noticed that the wired owl that used to be the centerpiece in the foyer was also hung in the downstairs bathroom. Resurrected. Reborn. Repurposed. Alive. 

Again, I imagine it was my father...there was no way it would ever go to a garage sale. Why would one store it in the closet? Up, it must go. 

I thought about this because I was forced to the downstairs bathroom while mom was in the shower and I realized, "Hmmm. Someone has redecorated and brought talismans from the past back to the forefront. Haircuts. Owls. Phew. This is Amalfi Drive Art!

I'm shocked that Cynde hasn't claimed the owl for her own house and that Casey hasn't requested "The Haircut" for her own. I'm also surprised they changed locations, and aren't where they always were when we were kids. When did this happen? How did I miss the change? Where did they disappear to for a while? Who found them and brought them back out? Were they always up and I just missed them? What have they seen? Experienced? Witnessed? What do they know from their history in Cherry Heights?

What secrets could they tell Cynde, Casey, and I about our childhoods? What whispers would they offer about Mom and Dad? Do they remember the parties? the barbecues? the times grandparents lived with us and Casey was stranded on a medical bed downstairs? 

Every home has them. Objects that are there and are often overlooked and forgotten. But I see them. I recognize them. They've been with us the majority of our lives. 



No comments:

Post a Comment