Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Saying Goodbye, Then Hugging Hello...Fortunate to Be Mid-Life, Healthy, & Flexible with the Schedule. Embracing the Beauty.

I remember Sundays, when my sisters and I would be packed into a smoke-filled vehicle for day trips to visit the grandparents in Sherburne and Hamilton. As we got older, we were able to drive ourselves, and as my grandparents aged, we'd lend ourselves as legs, drivers, arms, and ears...just to be there. At the time, I didn't think much about the teeter-totter performance my parents played with their lives: working full time, attending to their home, taking care of the the kids, and making space for their folks on weekends. On a number of occasions, too, I remember when the grandparents moved in with us. The in-between phase comes at you quickly...that is adulting (and I've been warned about it for years).

Funny that all life moves full circle, as I teeter totter myself now. I spent yesterday morning moving more items from the shed and backyard to the dumpster, talking to my mother who leaned out of her bedroom window talking to us, and following instructions of my father. Much was accomplished over the period of six days, including several fantastic meals made in the crockpot. My muscles aren't sore as much as they are fulfilled by days of hard work. Pool concrete is heavy and so are rocks, especially those brought in to fill the hole left by a removed pool (hey, it looks like Corbett and Laurie have company...oh, wait, that's me). 

At 3 p.m., the parental units were satisfied with the progress made from my visit and relieved me of my week-long duties. As much as I didn't want to depart the crisp CNY air (shoot, I should have gone apple picking), I'm two weeks into sabbatical without touching the academic work I've set out to accomplish. So, Glamis the Wonderdog and I drove back to Connecticut listening to the 2nd half of Trevor Noah's Born a Crime. Glamis, of course, was a nervous wreck, while I simply enjoyed the rolling hills, light traffic, and insight on S. African identity politics (wish I knew what made Glamis so paranoid in the car. If she laid down, all would be fine, but she stands as if she's surfing a giant wave and pants the entire way).

I returned home to find Edem and Chitunga in the kitchen, where Chitunga immediately suggested we build a fire (He spent my time away building a bigger pit better suited for our habits). I said, "We'll need wood," in which he remembered that Kris and Dave had wood for us from the trees they were forced to take down (so we drove over and packed the car). I didn't last long by the flames (was in bed by 10 p.m.), but enjoyed catching up on the week, sipping a bourbon, and longing for a good night's sleep on my own bed (I slept until 8 a.m.). I also knew this blog post would be late because there was no way I could muster anything to write last night...I was brainless from the drive, unpacking, and transition back to CT.

Glamis slept even more. She curled up on the couch as soon as we returned and stayed there for 14 hours, looking like a hibernating, resting fox. 

Okay, time to get the hustle back on...As I'm typing, I am thinking, "Okay, what do they need me to do next?" only to realized I need to work on my own list.

No comments:

Post a Comment