Tuesday, September 1, 2020

A King, An Actor, A Teacher, The Writers, The Ballers, The Humanists. Yes, THE WRITE TIME for @gerduany

For over a year, Kristin Shultz of Random Penguin House fame, has been teasing me about a memoir to be published that she knew I'd want to read (and vet). I was given a very, very early top-secret version of the draft so I could begin thinking about creating a teacher's guide and start advocating the book in my circles. She knew it was perfectly aligned with all that I do

I've already written this - what a coincidence.

She was right. I've been gifted, and now I can share this gift with others.

Tonight, THE WRITE TIME airs with an interview of Ger Duany, where teacher William King will asks questions about his memoir. Ger Duany's book WALK TOWARD THE RISING SUN is a recollection of how he moved from childhood soldier into an international peace activist. Over the last few weeks, Ger, William, and I have enjoyed getting to know one another and to learn of people we know mutually (sorry, Reese Witherspoon, Ron Howard, Dustin Huffman, Lily Tomlin, and Jude Law - those are Ger's people). Now, Emmanuel Jal, I know! Valentino Deng, I know. John Dau, I know. Lopez Lomong, I know. Movie stars? Nope.

Kueth Duany? I don't know, but will. I promise. Too big of a Syracuse fan not to make that happen. Mark Crandall? Ger doesn't know my cousin yet, but he will. Kueth, Ger, Mark, and I will be together as soon as we can. It will be  a Duany-Crandall bonanza. Promise. But that's an aside.

THE WRITE TIME airs on FaceTime tonight at 7 pm EST / 4pm PDT.

I have been excited about every interview of THE WRITE TIME to date, but this one, with Ger Duany, is extra special. It unites soul-work, passion, drive, and a love for humanity. I've been inspired by Sudanese people for over 20 years through work in Louisville, Syracuse, and Connecticut. It brings great pride to share Ger Duany's memoir with a National Writing Project audience and educators all across the nation.
William and Ger are the perfect match, and it is just the beginning.

As Ger noted during our first meeting, "We all have our beards now." I guess that means we've grown up and it's time for a mature conversation.  (Yikes, I currently shaved mine off...mid-life stuff...trying to look younger).

WALK TOWARD THE RISING SUN is a boo everyone should read, simply to know more about the world  (and its extreme inequities). I continue to walk side by side with individuals like Ger Duany, because through them, I gain perspective, insight, and wisdom.

I cherish these opportunities when they come my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment