Thursday, December 17, 2020

And After 9 Years in Connecticut, I Finally (FINALLY) Found Cross Country Skis & They Are in My House Ready to Contend with This Storm

When we were early teens, Butch and Sue purchased cross country skis for all of us, and for several years, our winter months were spent in the neighborhood and on groomed courses, doing out thing. I brought my set to Kentucky (actually my father's, as my feet grew), but sadly we never had snowfalls significant enough to get much use. 

For several years now, I've reacted after a snowfall with a desire to get a new set for myself. Upon my return from Syracuse, knowing they are calling for 16 inches, I went on a two-day OCD-fest to find a pair of skis. I failed on Tuesday, but then found a store outside of East Haven/Branford, that said they had my shoe size and ski size in the store. So, the store opened at 10 a.m. and I was there at 9:30 a.m. - Lord forbid that someone who wanted MY skis get to them before I did.

I got them. 

With snow falling 3 inches an hour over night, I know my first step is to snowplow the driveway (update - don't have to....Edem shoveled). Tunga's car is inside the garage and the plow is behind it.  I'll spend the morning pushing snow to the side and then the afternoon (and weekend) putting my new skis to work. I know that my Covid-19 15 (or 20) has got to go. I am blaming it on the peanut butter cup cookies from Big Y. I also know that my running has subsided to walking, because my joints are ridiculously middle-age. Hoping the slide and glide of skis will be a nice fix for the winter months.

I'm laughing, too, because the photo I took is still Fall-like, but that is changing quickly. 

The ski-boots are high tops and futuristic (nicest pair of shoes I ever bought). I am thinking of my navy blue and white low-tops of my earlier years and how cold my feet used to get. I apologize now for the skiing posts to come. I'm pretty sure I might get a little obsessed. 

And with that...it's time to head outdoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment