Monday, December 21, 2020

It Always Begins With a Squirrel Story. It Doesn't Necessarily End With One, But It Begins With One. Especially Poetic Squirrels

I penned Yucca for 365 days when I was in my mid-twenties. Because I write everyday, I said, "Why not write a novel and see where it takes me?" The end result was a Bambi-like, postmodern squirrel story about a rodent named Nova Scotia who fell in love with an albino squirrel named Snow (inspired by the many white squirrels on U of L's campus). I never did anything with the novel  because it was quirky, odd, and silly. I got into short stories that I enjoyed more and worked on those. But, I always think I should look at that novel simply to see what it says about me and who I was at the time.  Who knows? there might be something enlightening in it.

I forget how it began, but Tiana French, ol' student from KY and lifelong friend, has a sister who is petrified of squirrels. All I remember is there was a story about a squirrel tail and her horror of the creatures, so for years, whenever I was out running and came across a random squirrel tail, I would mail them so she could give to her sister. There are more squirrel tails lying about than one would imagine. Or maybe it's just me. I always run into them.

But then someone sent me a picture of a squirrel who apparently was electrocuted while running with a nut (see above) and the caption was, "At least he died happy." I saved the image and from time to time I send it to someone. I should of known that when I sent it to Suzie Q in Florida, she'd send me a book "that I had to read." 

Flora & Ulysses. I've read other Kate DiCamillo books and loved them all. I loved this one, too, although I finished scratching my head wondering, "Is there something more I'm supposed to be getting here?" I mean, it was fantastic: odd, quirky, unusual, and fun, but I kept thinking there must be some deep-rooted psychological conundrum I was missing. I mean, after all, William Spiver is a character for the ages. He goes blind after a family crisis, and he's such a wonderfully whimsical kid (I have to admit, too. Flora, pictured on the cover, looks like a child-version of Sue McV. That was the first thing I noticed)(and it was an instant hook to find out who this Flora-girl was). I did fledgling cynics. Doubt adults. They're terrible creatures. Always.

And, who won't love Ulysses? Any squirrel that writes poetry is a squirrel I can get into. I loved his artistic, superhero ways. As for the lamp and chain-smoking mom (and the dad who is pleased to meet me on every other page), I simply wondered, "Is this a story to help kids get through divorce?" 

I think so. It's a story for any kid who lives in their head, who is sketpical of what adults offer them, and who prefer rodents to actual people.

And I have to be thankful for Glamis the Wonder Dog for being my reading companion. She wanted to walk, but after I found a few more hours to ski, I was too tired to go back out in the cold.

Today. I will walk her...

...and if I find any squirrel parts, I know I will mail them (although Tiana sent me a note saying her house is no longer accepting them, even if her sons would love them). 

No comments:

Post a Comment