Saturday, December 19, 2020

Well, Mom, It's a 2020 Covid Year & I Tried, but @Kohls & @FedEx Did Us Wrong. So, You Get This Blog Post Instead. Happy Birthday, Anyway

Dear Mom,

As you know, I came to Syracuse the last day of November, so I could be of assistance to you and Dad as you, like most of the nation, contend and battle with Covid. It's a crazy year, and most of us are used to everything being upside down and backwards. Today, it is your birthday, and I need to explain why you won't have a present from me (the first time ever). 

I tried. Really, I did, but my attempt has traveled with the black cloud that this year is. 

For 20 years I've been sending you new pajamas for your birthday and we've sort of hit the Taj Mahal with the ones I buy for you from Kohls. In a normal year, I pick them up wherever I live and I mail them to you via the U.S. Postal system. We've never had a problem. You get them. It's usually gold. This year, however, since our in-store shopping isn't necessarily a reality, I was smart and I went online EARLY to order them so they'd be delivered to you in time for birthday. I think you know this, because I was at your house taking care of you at the time, making your lunches and dinners, doing your laundry, and shopping while you and dad recovered. I kept telling you that the package for you birthday would arrive any day, and we waited for two weeks and it didn't arrive.

I then said, "Well, according to the website, the package is being sent via FedEx and will arrive Wednesday, December 16th. Just hold onto it for your birthday." 

I called you and you said it never arrived. 

So, I went online to find out what was going on. According to Kohl's, who prompted me to check with FedEx, the package was delivered at exactly 10:45 a.m. and left on the front porch. There was no photograph...just the online confirmation. The first thing I did was contact FedEx who told me that they did, indeed, deliver the package, but they didn't have photo-proof. They also said that they were not responsible and I needed to call Kohl's. I went back online and saw that the package was last seen in a Connecticut warehouse, so I thought, "Maybe they sent it to my address by mistake." I checked the front porch. It wasn't there.

The package was sent as a gift and I filled out your address - the address of the birthday girl, and I paid right away. At the time, the delivery was supposed to be a couple of days, so when it didn't come to your home, and I had to leave, I grew nervous. I know the entire nation is shopping online, and I wanted to be ahead of the curve.

There was no package delivered to you or to me. So, I went online again. 

That is when I learned from FedEx that they delivered the package at 10:45 a.m. to an old address....not yours, not mine, but one that I lived at 7 years ago. I have no idea why. I checked my online Kohl's account and all my addresses are up to date, so if they didn't send it to you (which they should have), then it should have come to me (which they didn't).

Now, you also know that we had a coastal storm on Thursday. Everything is snow. It's a mess. But a beautiful, white mess.

So, on our snow day I played Sherlock Holmes and spent the entire day on the phone with Kohls and FedEx with their customer service departments. I got nowhere. 

By Friday, I learned that the package was left at the address from 7 years ago. I have no idea why, but my determination kicked in, and I actually got int he car and drove to the house to see if I might find someone living there to see if the package arrived. Phew. There was no evidence of anyone living in the house, as the snow was packed to the brim and there were no cars. So, I drove all the way home and wrote a letter to the inhabitants of that old address, asking them to give me a call if they received a package from FedEx with your birthday pajamas. I left my number and said I was willing to come back to pick them up. I mailed it to them, but so far, no good.

No one called. The phone has been silent.

Meanwhile, I did talk to a Kohl's representative and he did look into this situation showing tremendous concern. He wanted me to know, however, that I should contact FedEx and not Kohl's. He said, "It is FedEx's problem." When I told him I already did and they couldn't do anything so I should contact Kohl's, he replied, "Thank you, Mr. Crandall. Is there anything else we can do for you today?"

Well, I informed him that he could make a report about the IT department and find out (a) why the address I sent the pajamas to didn't take (your address), and (b) why they sent the pajamas to one of my old addresses, when the addresses where I've live now have been updated for years?

He said, okay. 

Then asked, "Is there anything else we can do for you?" and I said, "Yes, I'd like to talk to a manager to find out what actually occurred." At that point, he disappeared for a while (I should also say this was probably my 5th hour on the phone waiting for a human being to pick up), and when he returned he said, "I tried to find the pajamas to resend to you, but it turns out that they are out of stock for the season. I will reimburse your account for the cost of the pajamas." 

That was nice, and I was thankful, but I really wanted you to have your birthday jammies as is the holiday tradition of many years. I'd also like the people who live at my old address to call me and say, "Mr. Crandall, we got your lovely note in our mailbox and we are so sorry your mother will not be getting her birthday pajamas this year. Please. Come to our house and we will give you the FedEx box." 

In that case, I would get the pajamas, and immediately drive to my local Kohl's and explain that I wanted to pay for the pajamas that Kohl's and FedEx sent to the wrong house. I simply want the pajamas to be in your possession for your birthday. I'm good for the cash.

But this is 2020. Why would anything like that happen like it normally would? 

Instead, this is your birthday present. I'm sorry it's so tacky and non-physical, but I did make you a picture of what you would have looked like in your pajamas, if they were actually sent to your house as they should have been). I did, though, embellish the hats. Those would not have come with the pajamas. Cynde or Casey would have to provide those.

Kohl's did reimburse the money, so I now have an alternative plan. I'm just sorry that the joy of new pajamas won't be with you today for your celebration. I'm hoping this explanation and post will suffice. My good intentions were definitely on some other road this year. 

I love you. I hope your day is spectacular. I will get you new pajamas somehow...someday. And I will call to sing HAPPY BIRTHDAY very soon. 

Your well-intended son,

Bryan

PS: So, no. I'm wasn't able to put on the pajamas to model for you, so you could see what they would look like when they eventually made it to your home. Perhaps the inhabitants in my old, old house are dancing around in new jammies this morning singing, "We got these for freeeeee. We got these for freeeeee." I guess we will never know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment