Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Shhh. Don't Tell Anyone. But We Are So Close to Fulfilling a Nerdy Dream I Never Could Have Thought Of as a Kid

I was five years old when the first Star Wars movie came out. Little could I know at the time that the series, of which I was obsessed with, would eventually land that 1st movie as episode 4 in the 9-part trilogy (or that Grogu would debut in The Mandalorian). I did a Google search of R2D2 ceramic lamps, and I can tell you none of them were as cool as the one my mother made for me in ceramics. It lit up my room as if holiday Christmas lights. I loved my toys, too, and some of my earliest memories were playing Star Wars and attacking my sisters' barbie dolls. 

The trash compactor was a tremendous hit, too.

Fast forward 43 years and we have the phenomenon that has been Mt. Pleasant this week. Chitunga and I watched all the Mandalorians together, and I was surprised when he said he wanted to watch all the Star Wars movies so he could understand the story better. Phew. I remember the resurrections of films in the 2000s when I still lived (1999)(2000)(2005) in Kentuckiana. The resurgence began. I felt alive. 2015, 2017, 2019, however, I lived in Connecticut, but went home to Syracuse, to watch the films as they came out.

1977, 1980, and 1983, however, were the films that raised me. My addiction and my imagination. I guess it is safe to say that I'm totally a Star Wars geek. The fulfillment of all the films together, however, belongs to my generation all the way! This was our childhood, early adulthood, and now adulthood. We feel the force within every episode because we were raised with it.

Perhaps this is why the past week has been extra special. With Chitunga off for the holiday, and me always in need of something that can successfully get me to unwind, we ventured to watch all 9 films in order of the story (not their releases). It made for something as magical as the day Bro-in-Law Mike and I did the Lord of the Ring marathon on Pine Grove in Cicero. Another epic series in my life. 

If all goes well, tonight we will complete the back to back series, and I can successfully cross off an item on my bucket list that I didn't know I had.

Loving this mild, yet ever-so-precious week of memories we made. Here's to many more stories in the series yet-to-be-told.

And poor Glamis. She just wants her couch back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment