Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Dollar Plates To The Neighbors Today (With the Kentucky Cake, and a New Vanilla Sauce for the Top) (with Nectarines)

Found really beautiful, reindeer red glass plates  at Goodwill for a $1 a piece. I bought four, knowing I was going to deliver cake and flowers to my neighbors tomorrow in honor of my first Christmas ever in my very own home. I've been hitting the road for 28 years, heading back to Clay to celebrate with the Homefront of Crandalls, Isgars, and Barnwells. It's usually a dog-fest, too. This year, to be cautious and smart, we have decided it will be a ZOOM holiday and gift drive-by. I left all my gifts in Syracuse while I was there for two weeks. 

Yesterday, I went in for an oil change, and ended up with tire rotation, new brakes, and a new battery. I've got to stop spending on myself so much. Tis the season to be jolly.

And then I came home to create gift plates and organize drop-offs for the neighbors. Chitunga will be thrilled that kitchen is no longer a pile of stuff, but he'll be chagrined it is all resting in the refrigerator for the night.

I also must say, "Hip Hip Hooray," as I finally tasted my first pralines in an exchange with Dr. Beth Boquet (and yes, the Dr. matters. It always has). They are so good! My elderly neighbor also made me a plate of homemade perogies in thanks for doing her driveway, and they were absolutely stellar. Bring on the Covid-Christmas 35. Phew. No more food.

It's time to give things away and clear out the house some.

I hope the neighbors appreciate the cake (but more, the plates). Definitely a reusable gift. And thank you Alexa for providing this year's Christmas music, although I know you are listening to me, because suddenly my Facebook feed was pralines and perogies. Not a coincidence. So creepy. 

Finally, a joke I want to remember. I took my skis to the zoo, so I could ski trails there. I noticed that one of the cages was full of baguettes. I thought it was odd, but then one of the custodians asked me, "Are you looking at those?" and I said I was. He noted, "Oh, they're a crowd favorite. Bread in captivity, in fact."

Ba dum dum Ch. Happy Tuesday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment