Thursday, December 24, 2020

The Good News Is We Don't Have To Spend Several Weeks Planning On Who Is Cooking What. This Year, It's Whatever I Make

I'm ready. I'd say I'm feeding an army, but it's like to only be 3, maybe 4. The brisket is already cooking, as I'm used to the Christmas Eve dinner, rather than the Christmas Day. Usually by then, mom and dad are sound asleep, and Cynde's putting up her decorations. We will definitely miss out on the Barnwell Brunch, though, as there's nothing better than the French Toast casserole, bacon, eggs, etc. Then there are mom's 'fuck yeah' cookies. As Dorothy said to the cookies in the Wizard of Oz, "I will miss you the most."

I spent the day cleaning, too, after being stung by 60 needles for my psoriasis and lucking out at the last minute finding what I've been looking for for days (stupid gift, too). I am laughing, though, because I thought I mastered a way so that Glamis would stop lounging on the couch. Instead, I think I've created an extra comfortable house of pillows for her to fold up like a fox so she can snore. Well, at least until she moves, the dog hair is swept up for a moment. 

Facebook reminded me the last couple of days that for 26 years, I was on the road to Syracuse, either from Louisville or Connecticut. I am thinking of all the neuroticism of Glamis, too, as we tried to fit her in with the packages (Baby was easy...I had a truck then, and she stood in the back like a horse). This year, there's no need for causing Glamis stress, as we are adhering to the socially distanced Holiday.

A ZOOM call at 5 p.m. - Our goal, I believe, is to eat dinner at 6 p.m. after the call. Besides the beef brisket, everything else I'm making is traditional: beans, creamed potatoes, squash, & shrimp. On Christmas Day, I believe the order is lasagna, but I'm not making that. I'm awaiting one to be delivered (as I know what I can master and cannot). 

And with that, it's time to peel the potatoes. Enjoy your ritual(s) - whatever that may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment