Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Bring on the Blizzard. Why Not, 2020? Couple It With the Computer That Just Crashed & Won't Restart. Paralyze How I Roll.

For the 2nd time this sabbatical, my university-sanctioned MacBook Pro has decided to die. What this means to those who don't work on campuses, is that I am screwed until I can get someone to look at this, and this requires going to campus which is not easy, especially as everyone works from home. I've sent emails and received no replies. So, I wait. 

It came on suddenly. I was working upstairs and thought, "Why is my battery so low?" as it charged all night. Within seconds it died, and now, even when charged, it won't start. As I've written before...I live on my laptop and everything is saved there...

...well, on Dropbox, which I can't access. That's what I have to solve. Lucky for me, CWP's gone from a full-time assistant, to a part-time assistant, to a graduate student, to no-one at all. So, In addition to my job as faculty, and as the Director, I now do all the clerical work, too. I have that laptop in my house and it is working. I just need to get it to line-up with my files online.

Here's the rub. I saw the storm coming and there were two things I set as a goal: to get a haircut, and to revisit my teens/twenties by buying cross country skis. I'm determined I can make it happen, and am willing to sacrifice getting to campus to fix the computer in order to get skis so that on Thursday, when 16 inches arrive, I can take the day off and ski to the beach and back. I have priorities.

I can say, I wrapped up my kayak yesterday at the beach and it is now stored on Pam's patio. It is out of her garage so she can park inside. Now I have to do the same with my own garage. One of us are going to get inside...not sure who...I'm guessing Chitunga.

Phew. If 2020 wasn't so 2020, I'd have steam coming out of my ears right now, but it seems that 2020 is the gift that keeps on giving. And I'm allowing it to be my giving tree.

Update: And my mom's birthday gifts, which are already a week behind the scheduled delivery, are arriving to my house - I just found this out. Although it was gifted to her address, the schmucks sent the gifts to me. They will arrive today (which does no good, as they're seasonal and need to be in upstate New York). Uck to the Fay.

This too shall pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment