Sunday, December 13, 2020

And Then, There Are Moments That Simply Present Themselves, and You Realize, "Yup. It's Important to Hang Onto This One." Thanks, Rudolph.

Saturday morning began with an invitation to dad to run to Price Chopper to get three items on my mother's list. I figured Dad needed the fresh air and a love for saying hello to every employee at Price Chopper. He does okay. Getting in and out of my car isn't as tough as we anticipated, and we shop well together. He throws everything he sees into the cart, and I wait a couple of seconds, and take it out. "Mom said this is what she wanted," I say. He doesn't notice when his items are removed. He can be quite random with his merchandise. He has a thing with Pepsi, hamburger, strawberry Jelly, donuts, potato chips, and soups.  

We made it through the line, and fellow customers didn't quite understand how important it is that he talk with the girl at the register (no matter how much time it took). He also talks to the employees at the register to the left of us, and the register to the right. Disgruntled customers didn't get the fact that we had over 35 items in a 15 or less line, either (he chose the line). They don't understand that it's assistive coaching, guidance, and son-love. Let it go. It's important to give him out-of-the-house space.

Dad and I checked out and headed home. At one point he said, "Let's see what Mike and Cynde are doing," but then he complained that my radio sounded off. I pretended to hit a few dials and then he said, "That's much better." I didn't touch a thing. 

Rudolph, the Red Nose Reindeer came on and he said, "Can you believe a country singer made this famous? Who would of thought this?" I didn't know that. I always sang it, but learned it was Gene Autry.

Then my father began to sing along. Well, he sort of sang, missing most of the words, but coming pretty close, and he was as happy as a child. In his head, he was on stage at a school assembly. So I joined him. My father and I sang Rudolph, the Red Nose Reindeer from Price Chopper to all the way Amalfi Drive. I admit,  I teared up and wanted to record the moment, but simply let the music absorb into my soul. Later on, when telling my mom about the moment, I called on


Alexis, who played Gene Autry once again. Sure enough, my father sang in pure, child-like bliss. And I recorded his singing this time for my sisters. I sent it to them so they could experience it, too. The song is forever change as an imprint on my heart. I think I will always tear up when I hear it.

And right before bed, my mother said, "I want the video, too. Send it to me," and I did.  My dad, singing Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer is what Christmas 2020 is all about. 

It's Love. It's  a crazy year. It's hope, and simply the best.  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment